Client: BG Norge
Location: Norwegian Sector
Setting the foundations for a major field development.
Xodus Group completes an engineering project covering concept selection through pre-FEED engineering to FEED design reviews on the Knarr field.
The Knarr field (previously named Jordbær) is located 112 km west of Florø, Norway, in the North Tampen region of the Norwegian Sector of the Northern North Sea. Xodus Group was initially engaged by BG Norge to carry out the concept select phase of the project cycle for full field development. A structured identification and screening process considered a wide range of greenfield development options, using alternative structure types, as well as long tie-back options.
Being in excess of 400m water depth, the subsea system relied totally on deepwater technology for its development solutions. A new build Floating Production, Storage and Offloading (FPSO) vessel option was selected based on thorough technical, economic and risk assessments.
Following completion of the initial phase, Xodus was engaged to perform the full facilities and Subsea Umbilicals, Risers and Flowlines (SURF) pre-FEED engineering. The objective of the SURF study was to recommend an optimal technical and cost effective solution for the Knarr SURF concept including Jordbær Central and Jordbær West drill centres.
The study comprised a full technical assessment and cost evaluation of all subsea options. Xodus was responsible for the evaluation and development of the subsea, umbilical, riser and flowline systems in readiness for the Front End Engineering Design (FEED) phase of the project. Our team provided full FPSO topsides engineering and managed all naval architecture consultancy services. Subsequently, engineering design review services were undertaken during the FEED phase of the project.
- Process and facilities
- FPSO hull / moorings design
- Flow assurance
- Materials and corrosion
- Pipeline design
- Riser analysis
- Control system design
- Singing riser (Flow Induced Pulsation (FLIP)) vibration analysis.
- Following screening of greenfield options, a new build FPSO option was selected
- Expert evaluation and development of subsea, umbilical, riser and flowline systems completed
- Specialist knowledge in topsides and subsea systems required to overcome the challenges presented at the Knarr field, particularly in North Sea cross-border gas export systems, materials and corrosion design and construction techniques.