Carbon Capture & Storage
Xodus Group is actively applying its capability and expertise gained in the energy industries to carbon capture, transportation and storage.
The company’s talent and experience encompass the range of disciplines and skill sets required to successfully evaluate, select and plan the optimum Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) technique, site or facility.
Broad skills for the CCS challenge:
- Process and facilities engineering expertise and experience for high quality, multidiscipline advice
- World-class subsea and pipeline engineers with well proven capabilities in materials and corrosion protection, hardware and control systems, rigid and flexible pipeline systems and project delivery
- Leading-edge analysis for dynamic pipeline and plant modelling, enabling fast, informed decision-making for engineering and operations
- Environmental services for comprehensive support ensuring compliance with environmental legislation, assistance with the consents process, and managing environmental impacts including Carbon (CO2) project balance
- Risk management expertise for an unbiased and independent approach to technical safety, risk and reliability
- Specialist well and subsurface capability to evaluate reservoir suitability / capacity for carbon storage, and to deliver complete well delivery solutions.
Xodus has developed a uniquely comprehensive CO2 emissions calculation tool for technically complex energy developments. Our tried and tested approach involves five steps to calculate emissions for each project option using a range of emission factors. Whichever basis is appropriate for your project, the Xodus calculation tool is capable of accurate measurement and evaluation. For our clients, this leads to realistic emissions calculations across the whole lifecycle.
- Structure CO2 emissions into project phases: construction, operation, decommissioning
- Identify CO2 generating activities in each phase
- Determine CO2 emission factors for each activity
- Evaluate lifecycle CO2 emissions for each project option
- Verify applicability of standard factors against activity details.
Pre-combustion fuel or post combustion flue gas from power stations can be processed to remove the CO2. The gas is then dried and compressed ready for transport. Several technologies are available, or are in the process of being developed, to improve efficiency and reduce energy consumption.
Xodus has assisted the design and operation of several of these systems including large scale amine plants. The company has successfully applied its oil and gas industry knowledge to these low pressure, low temperature gas sweetening systems to minimise energy consumption, select suitable solvent(s) and avoid common design and operational pitfalls.
Managing and optimising the CO2 phase change to / from liquid and gas is key to developing an energy efficient transportation system, particularly for transport to depleted oil and gas field storage sites.
Xodus personnel have successfully applied their thermodynamic expertise in modelling this transition to provide practical solutions.
Identifying and selecting suitable storage sites such as depleted oil and gas fields, deep saline aquifers or deep coal seams requires multiple technical skills.
Xodus has evaluated potential carbon storage sites in the Southern North Sea in conjunction with the UK Government’s CCS competition for a major power company. Our consultants add significant value by providing important insight and understanding.
Avoiding carbon leakage during and long after the CCS project is paramount. Xodus solutions are geared to providing clients with facilities that satisfy integrity requirements as well as providing cost-effective long term monitoring.
Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR)
The market price of carbon in the Emissions Trading Scheme currently offers limited incentive for CO2 emitters. The injection of CO2 into mature oil fields for EOR has the potential to improve the field’s overall recovery factor by 3% to 15%. EOR also poses unique HSE hazards, which need a novel approach to long established methods, for example dispersion modelling and relief systems.
Xodus process and facilities engineers offer clients transferable experience and expertise in the design and operation of EOR systems. We provide the ingenuity to challenge conventional thinking and to develop new bespoke solutions.