Xodus supports its clients in preventing failures in a wide variety of structures.
Our fatigue and fracture mechanics analyses help to ensure that operating assets meet the long-term needs of our clients in the upstream oil and gas, petrochemical and low carbon industries. We provide advice that informs decision-making during the design of new plant, and during the life extension of existing plant. Using our expertise as part of an integrity management programme, clients can avoid costly failures that jeopardise safety, production and reputation.
Recent experience has included fatigue life evaluation of a riser missing a clamp and fatigue life calculation of pipework subject to multiple loadings. Both were part of wider projects integrating other specialist areas such as Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), linear and non-linear structural analysis, and Flow Induced Vibration (FIV) analysis.
Our experts deliver:
- Complex fatigue and fracture mechanics analyses using Finite Element (FE) models
- Accurate analysis of both dynamic and static stresses
- Assessment of fluctuating loads with complex characteristics, e.g. turbulent flow within pipework, pressure systems, mechanical excitation, wave, wind, etc.
- Simulated fatigue analysis based on highly detailed models to determine defect propogation under various loading conditions
- Fatigue analysis for defects measured on-site using actual load events to reduce errors and assumptions in the modelling process
- Installation of long-term monitoring systems for real-time estimates of accumulated damage
- Specialist knowledge of weld-related fatigue failures that demand a significantly different approach to typical fatigue analysis
- Integration of disciplines to ensure accuracy is maintained throughout projects involving structural simulation and fatigue analysis
- Reporting in line with current guidance from the relevant organisations such as the BSI, ASME, or DNV
- Accurate assessment of defects to aid the development of effective asset integrity schemes.