Human Factors and Ergonomics
Human error has long been identified as a contributing factor to incident causation. Commonly cited statistics claim human error is responsible for anywhere between 70-100% of incidents.
Achieving and maintaining reliable human performance is consequently a major concern in organisations that rely on barrier management. Major hazard organisations consequently wish to know:
- That the human performance they need and expect can reasonably be relied on to be delivered when and where it is needed.
- The controls they intend to have in place are as robust as they reasonably can be against the loss of expected standards of human reliability.
- Ensure that barriers credited with performing a role in managing Major Accident Hazard (MAH) risk, are not degraded through a loss of human reliability.
Xodus and Human Factors Engineering
Xodus offers a range of Human Factors services for ensuring HF is considered within engineering phases of new developments/ modifications and ensuring that HF issues are adequately managed in operational installations.
The Xodus HF department is fully integrated into the well-established Technical Safety and Risk (TSR) team giving us access to a wide range of expertise in addition to discipline specialists. We pride ourselves on having a pragmatic approach to HF and our ability to integrate our analyses into the overall MAH management process.
Services include, but are not limited to:
- Development of HF/E philosophies, plans, method statements etc.
- Safety Critical Task Analysis (SCTA).
- Human Factors integration into Barrier Management/ Bowtie models.
- Human Factors Screening Assessments.
- Specialist HF input into safety cases and material changes.
- Specialist attendance in safety studies e.g. HAZOP, HAZID, LOPA, Layout Reviews.
- Secondment of HF specialists into major project design teams.
- Execution of HF engineering studies in line with OGP 454 and other recommended practices.
- Human reliability assessments and ALARP demonstrations.