Xodus Group engineers produce robust engineered solutions before expensive failures occur.
Vibration induced failures in process systems can cause major safety, reliability and operational problems. The Vibration Engineering service from Xodus aims to prevent these failures.
Using a combination of physical measurement, analysis and modelling tools to identify vibration and fatigue problems, our engineers help our clients meet exact design requirements and avoid problems arising, or solve any that arise during design, construction, commissioning and operational phases
Our experts support safety and asset management strategies from the initial stages of plant design through to final plant life extension programmes and we have been closely involved with the development of risk-based assessment methodologies, including the industry-standard Energy Institute Guidelines.
Expertise and technology
During the design phase we use our knowledge of field operating conditions together with modelling of dynamic systems to quantify the fatigue threat posed by dynamic response. We then assess the effect of potential process and / or structural modifications to ultimately eliminate potential vibration related problems before construction starts. Our structural and pipework vibration engineering team offers vibration risk assessments on existing assets, using industry-standard vibration criteria combined with site visits to identify at-risk components.
In field measurement, we provide a range of instrumentation and data logging solutions to record, characterise and understand intermittent problems or long-term plant performance issues. Our engineers can also help train clients’ staff so that they gain an understanding of vibration threats to help strengthen internal asset management skills.
Our experience encompasses offshore, including topsides and subsea, and onshore gas treatment, Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) and refining facilities in Europe, North America, the Middle East, Asia and Australasia. Our expertise, track record, and in-house technology cover:
Vibration risk management:
- Design audit
- Design review
- Complete plant Vibration Risk Assessment (VRA) survey
- Development of in-house company procedures for vibration risk management.
Vibration measurement and analysis:
- Piping, vessel and structural vibration analysis and risk assessment
- Simulation and measurement of: Flow Induced Vibration (FIV); Flow Induced Pulsation (FLIP); Acoustically Induced Vibration (AIV)
- Rotating and reciprocating machinery vibration measurement and analysis
- Multichannel Operating Deflection Shape (ODS) and modal analysis
- Pipework support and clamp design and manufacture
- Seismic and shock testing
- On-site and remote vibration monitoring and acquisition systems.
Strain measurement and analysis:
- Dynamic strain measurement and stress analysis
- Fatigue assessment and failure analysis
- Development of acceptable vibration criteria.
Acoustic pulsation measurement and analysis:
- Pulsation measurement and analysis of liquid and gas systems and pressure surges in pipelines
- Acoustic bottle design
- Acoustic pulsation analysis, assessment and design and review of piping system.
Remote data acquisition:
- Custom system design (vibration, stress /strain, pressure, temperature)
- System installation, calibration and commissioning
- Remote monitoring and analysis.
Computer modelling and analysis:
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and pipe stress analysis using Ansys
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) using Ansys CFX
- Transient surge analysis using Pipenet
- Static and dynamic pipe stress analysis using Caesar II
- Acoustic simulation and analysis using PULS
- 3D mechanical modelling of pipework and structures for acoustic, stress and vibration analyses using SolidWorks
- Transient multiphase flow modelling using OLGA.
- Vibration awareness training
- Introduction to process pipework vibration
- Basic vibration troubleshooting.